04 February 2013

Banana Chocolate Chip Breakfast Cookies


Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day.  But, like most people, we rarely have time to enjoy a good breakfast with the busy-ness of our weekday mornings.

I like to be prepared with granola bars or yogurt on hand for a quick grab before I walk out the door, but I'm always up for trying muffins and things I can freeze and heat up before I leave in the morning.

I saw this post for breakfast cookies that had me pretty intrigued.  I was really drawn to the recipe because the ingredients were completely normal, but NO added sugar.  That makes me feel a little better about eating a cookie for breakfast!

They are PERFECTION!  The kids enjoyed them, too!

I even got a chance to try out the Silpat baking mat my mom got me for Christmas.  LOVE it!



Banana Chocolate Chip Breakfast Cookies
Adapted from Our Family Eats
Makes 18 cookies

3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
8 ounces mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

Place bananas, vanilla, butter, applesauce, and yogurt in a large bowl.  Stir to combine.  In another bowl add flour, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and baking powder.  Stir with a whisk to combine.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir well.  Add chocolate chips to mixture and gently stir to incorporate.

Drop cookies onto baking sheet using a large scoop, leaving 1 inch between each.

Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until center is well set.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment