05 April 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I hate buying laundry detergent because:


a) any thing other than Tide doesn’t seem to clean very well 


and 


b) Tide is SUPER expensive 


So when I came across this a while back on Pinterest I was very intrigued by it.   I told my husband that I was interested in this and he immediately stated that it was not a good idea and would never clean as well as the commercial detergents.


I was determined to prove him wrong!


I gathered the different ingredients (most from Target, except I couldn't find the Fels Naptha bars so I got those from Fareway): 



1  - 4 lb 12 oz box Borax
1 - 4 lb box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
1 - 55 oz box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
3 bars of Fels-Naptha soap
1 small container of Oxy Clean




The process was suprisingly easy and took maybe 15 minutes total. You start with grating the bars of soap just like cheese (and it even LOOKS like cheese).  This took a little bit of muscle, as soap is a little harder than a block of cheese!




Then, you combine the other powdered ingredients and mix in the grated soap. 




 I used a big wooden spoon to mix it all together. 




The smell is light, but really refreshing!  Now that I've used it for a couple weeks I actually prefer it over the Tide smell. AND it really DOES clean the clothes!  Dare I say it cleans them BETTER?!


Now what does Mike think?  My husband is amazed and wants me to make this stuff forever!


How nice is it to know WHAT you are cleaning your clothes with.  Espcially with kids, I feel SO much better using this stuff over Tide.  This is estimated to last about 9 months (as you use about 1-2 TBSP per load)! And it was only about $20 for the ingredients. 


Have I convinced you yet? TRY IT! You will not be disappointed.  Promise!









No comments:

Post a Comment