29 July 2012

My First Road Race




In grade school having to run the mile was the WORST THING EVER.


How could I POSSIBLY run a mile?!  7 LAPS AROUND THE ISLAND at St. Paul's - that was SOOOO much to run!  I absolutely dreaded it and was lucky if I finished under 15 minutes!


Besides those terrible days I would avoid running at all cost (hence why my high school sports included swimming and tennis).


I dabbled in running a little bit a few years ago - back when I was trying to get in shape for my wedding.  Unfortunately that hobby died immediately after the big day!


After having 2 kids in 2 years I was desperate to get active.  My cousin Sara mentioned signing up to run the Bix and I thought it would be the perfect motivation to be sure I stayed focused.  The Bix is a 7 mile race here in the Quad Cities - and not what you'd consider an easy run.  Big hills and winding streets. Might as well set a big goal, right?!




Well, this past weekend was the race.  I had been running as much as I could - about 12 miles a week.




My goal was to average 10 minute miles - or 70 minutes.


I am happy to report that:


a) I survived!
b) I beat my goal (just barely)!  My official time was 1 hour, 9 minutes, 43 seconds


The best thing is that I've actually started to LOVE running (who would have thought?!).  So I'm setting my goals even higher and contemplating a half marathon next!  Yikes!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment