05 July 2012

Peach Crumble



Last weekend we went to the Farmer's Market (YAY! I get to cross something off my list!!).  I've been there a couple times with my mom, but never really made it part of my normal routine.  Mike had never been before.  On our way there he told me that it was probably a waste of time to see a "couple" vendors.  Boy, was he in for a shock when we got there and he realized it was an entire village of vendors!


With $30 in our pockets we set off to find some yummy stuff, crossing our fingers that the kids would happily ride in the double stroller.


After loading up on fresh veggies (tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, peppers), we stopped by a vendor with tons of fruit.  I was immediately drawn to the peaches - they looked SO good.  I'm not even much of a peach fan, but these looked too good to pass up!  I bought 8 of them.  Now WHAT was I going to do with 8 peaches?!


After eating a couple of them fresh out of the fridge, I decided I needed a plan to use up the rest before they went bad.


A few minutes into a google search for a peach dessert, I came upon this recipe for Peach Crumble.  Sounded easy enough and I had *most* of the ingredients already.  I'm not super in love with fruit desserts (I feel like it can't be dessert unless there's chocolate involved).   But Mike prefers fruit-based desserts, so I thought I would do this for him!  


Little did I know that I would enjoy it just as much (if not more) than him!


SO much flavor and perfectly sweet with the fresh peaches.  YUM!




Peach Crumble Dessert
(adapted from Taste of Home)


Prep: 15 minutes
Bake: 35-40 minutes


6 cups sliced, peeled ripe peaches
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon


Topping:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled


Directions:
Place peaches in a greased baking dish (9x11).  In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour lime juice and cinnamon; sprinkle over the peaches.
Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, nutmeg.  Stir in egg until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Sprinkle over the peaches.  Pour butter over top
Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes.


Yield: 10-12 servings


No comments:

Post a Comment